Thursday, June 16, 2011

Philip Loves Richard Thomas!

My first gay crush was Richard Thomas
on TV's "The Waltons."

The earnestness. The naivete. The overalls (occasionally with no shirt). And that mole.

I loved John Boy more than air and rice pudding put together. I had all things Waltons, even the lunch box. Which I carried until the lid rusted shut.

Then, lovingly stashed in the bottom of the closet - with the rest of me.

My fundamentalist family thought I had such fine family values, bonding with such a saccharine TV drama. But it was never about the morality tales, the life lessons, or the tender good nights.

No, this was all about wanting to shag John Boy.

In the barn, his attic bedroom, or in the rumble seat of the old Ford.


I dreamed he would write me terribly poignant love messages in pencil, on his goldenrod tablet.

Or type them on the old Remington.

I loved him, but also wanted to be him. I loved to write, and the 1930's felt like my era from another incarnation. He was respected by his parents, but they never really understood his tenderness.
Like John Boy, I lusted for fancy book learning. 
But of course, my true lust was really for him!

I fantasized about us going down to the old swimming hole, dropping our mended dungarees, and diving in. 

We would get drunk on moonshine whiskey, then commit carnal acts heretofore unknown on Walton's mountain.

Goodnight, John Boy. I love you.

Philip - Lima, OH
_____________________________________________

Inspired by the "Born This Way Blog" - BornThisWayBlog.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first crush was Anthony Perkins in Friendly Persuasion. It was the first time I had any awareness of sexual feelings at all.Then I fell most madly in love with Brandon De Wilde.The rest is history!

Anonymous said...

Me too! I saw myself as a teenage orphan that the Waltons took in. I could imagine John-Boy and me in his bed at night talking about our dreams and hopes. Before we turned out the light, he would lean forward and kiss me.
Goodnight, John Boy!

wackado236 said...

You gave me a chuckle. Well done. And we all wanted to shag that boy! I'm a straight, black, female who had many a fantasy about Mr Thomas. Still do :)

wackado236 said...

You gave me a chuckle. Well done. And we all wanted to shag that boy! I'm a straight, black , female who had many a fantasy about Mr Thomas. Still do:)

mike said...

OMG. He was so cute and so nice. If he found out that you were gay, he'd be really cool about it. He'd tell you that he still wanted to be your friend and that you could tell him anything.

and not to be redundant, he was really cute. great smile. fll lips. so boyish and charming.

Eileen said...

Just happened upon this when looking up the actor who played Jim Bob. I,too, chuckled a few times while reading your post. I loved it! John-Boy was always my favorite, too. I'm straight, but I always love a great, gay love story. Thanks for a lovely story.

sobmaz said...

I loved your writing and your story. I was born in late ‘62 so we are probably very similar in age. I too was that kid you wrote about, although for whatever reason, Johnboy didn’t do it for me. My loves were numerous and fleeting, never more than a year. I had affair in my own childhood mind with Heath Barkley, Captain Kirk, Speed Racer (Lol ) and for a couple months The Professor from Gillian. I often think about those days, probably too much which I suppose led me here. Cheers!