Friday, July 1, 2011

Malcolm Loves David Soul!

My first gay crush was 70's actor David Soul!

This was 1977. I was 10-years old and I plastered my bedroom walls with his posters. 

I talked about him endlessly at home and at school, and never missed an episode of "Starsky & Hutch."

I didn't feel pressure to hide my romantic adoration of this gorgeous man.

Which was accompanied by a need and a longing I had yet to understand.



Soon after I started middle school, a classmate spotted a favorite photo I'd pasted into an exercise book. Whatever it was he said, I was mortified that my adoration meant I might be seen as gay.

So, after the 2 years of innocent pleasure I'd enjoyed loving him, I dumped my crush. And with those feelings of shame, I took the first steps into the closet. A place I wouldn’t break out of until many years later.

Malcolm - London, UK
______________________________________________

Click here - "Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay" book
Click here - "Born This Way Blog""
Click to follow my blog with Bloglovin'

No comments: